Saturday, January 19, 2013

1/14/13 Day 11 Teaching and Swimming


Today was really good. Started out by teaching little kids about Hepatitis A. It was tough; our first class was 5 year olds, second class was about 10, and then our third and final class was 14 (which was the easiest). Our group first started by asking if they knew what germs/viruses were (they all said that germs were little worms which explains why people always came into the clinic asking for meds for worms). From there we explained what the liver was and how the virus attacks the liver and the different signs of hepatitis A. After that, we did a little skit where Hunter and I were a bathroom, Dani was a sink, Rrita was the one going to the bathroom, and Angie was Hepatitis A. The first time we did the skit, Rrita skipped washing her hands and Angie would attack her, while the second time Rrita washed her hands and Angie couldn’t get near her. We just tried to show the kids that it’s really important to wash their hands and food before eating it. We were only there for an hour or so. The other groups taught about hygiene/cold/flu, lice, and dental hygiene. Pretty sure ours was the toughest topic of them all. Once we were done at the school, we went back to ProWorld and figured out what was going on for tomorrow. Tomorrow we’re doing home visits in a town and then we’re going to the zoo. Tomorrow night we have the drumming lesson which should be interesting. Once that was decided, we had a free day and Vicky, Hunter, Dani and I (along with a few others) decided to go get our bathing suits and go swimming at the ProWorld pool. It was a nice relaxing day where I got burned because I forgot to put sunscreen on in the morning (so my arms got burned on the walk from ProWorld to the house to get my bathing suit) and then I forgot to put sunscreen on my face while we were swimming. Oh well, it only hurts a little bit right now and I’m putting aloe on it a lot. I’m just hoping it doesn’t affect my sleep tonight. I’m probably going to take a Benadryl before I go to bed just to make sure I can fall asleep.
Oh forgot to mention, on the way back to get my bathing suit we stopped at Sweet Ting’s and got this AMAZING Oreo cheesecake. I was so delicious.
So yeah, ATM is still on, it’s not supposed to rain until Friday I think, so that should be fun. Then Thursday we have to be at ProWorld at 5:30am to catch the first ferry in Belize City to go to Caye Caulker. Adma is most likely going to drive us down since we’ll have our luggage and that walk with luggage would be a disaster. It really has been fantastic here. Adma has been a phenomenal host mom, and her children are awesome as well. I added Adma on Facebook yesterday, so hopefully she’ll add me at some point.
Anyway, I think that’s it for tonight, time to read for a while and head to bed. =)


















San Ignacio Hospital





Pool at ProWorld




No comments:

Post a Comment