Friday, November 30, 2012

End of Semester Reflection

As a final exam for the actual class for this trip, we were required to write a 500 word reflection about the course and the trip, what we learned, our expectations, how it's going to affect us, etc. Below is my response to it, I hope you enjoy it. =)


When I first heard about this course, I was very excited about the whole going to another country and working with the people and their healthcare. I made a deal with my friend that if she went, I would go too since I didn’t want to be the only one going that I knew already. I felt that this course could help me put to use what I have been learning in school and to actually help people with my knowledge. So we both signed up and then in the fall the class started. It was very interesting learning about how the country was formed and the different cultures all mixed together into one small amount of land. The more we learned about the country, the more excited I got about the trip actually happening. Part of me is nervous about the clinic work though. I will finally be putting to use stuff that the school has taught me and finally dealing directly with patients. I currently work in a hospital pharmacy so I don’t get any patient contact and I only worked in a community setting for a short time, so this experience will help me a lot and get me used to explaining things in terms that people can understand.
 I feel that the P3 year in pharmacy school is very beneficial to anyone who is going on this trip. Pharmacy Skills lab 5 is where you learn to triage, take blood pressures, do different exams (such as cardiac and respiratory), and do blood glucose. I feel that the school should make a short blood pressure/blood glucose/patient interaction course for anyone going on mission trips through the school. It would be beneficial for the students going that haven’t made it into the P3 year and may not have had experiences doing blood pressure and other exams. Overall I think the school does a decent job at teaching the students how to counsel and interact with patients. It will be very interesting to actually use this knowledge in practice and build my confidence. I feel the experience of this trip could determine the career path that I take. Right now I’m unsure as to what direction I want to go. I keep going back and forth between staff pharmacist, clinical pharmacist, home infusion pharmacist, or managed care. Between this trip and rotations next year, I feel I’ll have many experiences in many fields that I will be able to make an educated decision on what I want to do with my career.
As far as expectations, I’m not really sure what to expect. After hearing some stories from last year’s group, I think it’s going to be filled with some very interesting people and interesting cases. It will definitely be interesting to see how life is down there, rather than just reading about it. Also, it will be nice to actually see how healthcare is different in another country compared to the US. Overall I’m very excited to meet the host families, work as a group to help people to the best of our abilities, see the Mayan ruins, and just see the wonderful country of Belize as a whole.



For anyone who doesn't go to pharmacy school reading this, P3 is the 5th year of Pharmacy school if you started without any previous degrees. It is considered the 3rd Professional year. 

As you can see from the reflection essay, I'm really excited to go on this trip. We leave 1/4/13 and come back 1/18/13. It's getting so close and I'm really excited, I just need to get through final exams which happen next week and the week after, and then enjoy 2 weeks off. I'm super excited =D




No comments:

Post a Comment